Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Sauna Connection

I could feel the sweat oozing from my pores. It was relaxing. I knew I had to do this before I started my week.

There were a few people in the sauna, conversation exchanges in the background as I closed my eyes. The old Chinese man in the corner was impressed with the Malaysian's ability to speak Mandarin and even learn 4 other languages. Isn't it amazing how much you can learn from a stranger's background in a place like this.

An old big-bellied Kiwi guy, who I often see, entered the room and sat beside me. I wanted to say, "Move over"...it was just a bubble thought. He checked out the girl in the other corner and started a small chat. I wanted to poke his eyes because of the way he impolitely stared and stared and stared at her. The girl was apparently from Thailand and have lived here for 10 years. She's been working as a waitress in the JAsmine RIce Thai REstaurant along Remuera Road. He was definitely hitting on her.

ok ok ok. Jowe, stop listening and relax. Focus.

The door opened and another character entered the scene. I saw him earlier, handsome in his white shirt and blue boardshorts.
He sat one level below me.

When all of the others left the room, the only noise that filled the air was my breath and his. HE learned forward and clasped his face with both hands, deep in thought. AFter a deep sigh, settled back to his old position and leaned on the edge of the bench.

I said, "relaxed now?". He looked up at me, smiled and said "Yeah". Cute.

He was a Kiwi who bought tickets and finally decided to move to London, come May. So he's got 4 weeks and a half remaining. We talked about travels, why the move, transferring countries, etcetera. I found it funny how the conversation just went spontaneously and no awkwardness.

We talked about life and decisions to be made. The "why New Zealand" cliche question, answers that seemed to have been said over a gazillion times. But the exchange was fluid.

He sat beside me during the second sauna session. We continued on about our travels, and choices of places. And still about life.

AT past 8, he said "that's me", and said goodbye.

I said, "Goodluck".

And that was it.

No comments:

Post a Comment